1753 Companions
24 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page
Matt Kish
Progress: 70/600 pages
The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo
Oscar Zeta Acosta, Manuel Acosta Sero, Hunter S. Thompson
Progress: 105/204 pages
Gulliver's Travels
Jonathan Swift, Robert DeMaria Jr.
Progress: 29/306 pages
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

terrible title - nice book

And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks - Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs

And the hippos were boiled in their tanks is a brilliant collaboration between Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs.

Written in alternating perspectives they tell the story of a murder. The plot is basically a description of the journey of a group of young bohemian artists through New York - in three words: eat, drink, fuck.

It probably sounds crazy, but reading this book somehow reminded me of Ulysses - I mean, you could actually use it as a guide for Greenwich Village in New York and revisit all the bars, restaurants or whorehouses..

And the hippos were boiled in their tanks is a very realistic depiction of the lifestyle of the Beat Generation, showing not only their freedom and spontaneity, but at the same time all their aimlessness, their purposelessness, their longing for art and love, their notorious shortage of money and the endless monotony, because every day is the same as the one before and the next one to come.

Amazing writing styles (both - Burroughs and Kerouac) and super interesting - I could hardly put it down!