1753 Companions
24 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page
Matt Kish
Progress: 70/600 pages
The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo
Oscar Zeta Acosta, Manuel Acosta Sero, Hunter S. Thompson
Progress: 105/204 pages
Gulliver's Travels
Jonathan Swift, Robert DeMaria Jr.
Progress: 29/306 pages
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

Slaughterhouse five - Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse five is claimed to be the world's greatest antiwar book, dealing with the horrible firebombing of Dresden during World War II in which 135000 people were killed. So it goes, as Vonnegut would say.

So I was actually surprised to find out, that a great part of the book's plot does not take place during the war, some parts of it are not even set on earth. The amazing feature of Slaughterhouse five (for me, personally), are Vonneguts descriptions of his charater's future destinies or their acidental relationships to each other.

As soon, as a character is introduced, you get to know if, when, how and why he is going to die and if he's going to play an important role during the story. But amazingly, this does not take away any of the book's excitement. What I absolutely love about this book is the perception and description of the German, British, Polish and Austrian characters. Although they are all ment to be enemies to each other and, of course, to the American Protagonist, they are not depicted as cruel Monsters, but as individuals who just happen to find themselves standing on opposite sides during the war.

Very funny sometimes (this book is filled up to the top with black humor), horrible and unbelievable other times, Slaughterhouse five still is an amazing book to read. Sometimes the excessive jumping around in time was too much for me, so, after all, I rate it 4/5 stars.

So it goes.