1753 Companions
24 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page
Matt Kish
Progress: 70/600 pages
The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo
Oscar Zeta Acosta, Manuel Acosta Sero, Hunter S. Thompson
Progress: 105/204 pages
Gulliver's Travels
Jonathan Swift, Robert DeMaria Jr.
Progress: 29/306 pages
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

The big story about the little Prince

Der kleine Prinz / Le petit Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I wanted to start the new year with a book I love and which I have planned on re-reading for a very long time.

When I was little, my parents gave me this interactive audiobook of the little Prince for christmas – it was beautifully read and animated and you could decide yourself, which asteroid you wanted to visit, how long you wanted to stay there, you could tame the fox, click on stuff and so on. I loved it! Then, of course, I wanted to read the book myself and I remember how proud I was, because this was the first book I finished reading all by myself, without help and even within just one day (I cannot remember how old I was, but I must have been 5 or 6 years old by the time).

A long story short, I wanted to re-read it for quite some time, and now that I did, I am astonished. Not only, because I still know a few passages by heart, but because now, after probably more than 20 years, I realise how much this book unconsciously influenced and shaped me. Some examples: after I have “established ties” with someone or something I am pretty devoted to them and they are very special to me (yes, this also includes the plants in my flat or certain other items like books or mugs), I have a weird fascination for lamplighters, I could stare at the stars all night long because it makes me happy and I might also have learned where my disdain for businesspeople comes from. But apart from those superficial qualities, I felt that there are a lot of features which resembled great parts of me, although until now I never thought about where those characteristics came from.

And if this wasn’t enough, after reading the little Prince I am again quite proud – not because I was able to read it without help, those times are long gone – but because this time, parallel to the German version I read the French original and a Russian translation as well (because when I was in Russia this summer, I bought a beautiful edition of the little Prince).