1760 Companions
28 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Stranger in a Strange Land
Robert A. Heinlein
Progress: 201/438 pages
The Blazing World and Other Writings
Margaret Cavendish, Kate Lilley
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

The things we do for our loved ones..

The Catcher in the Rye - Jerome David Salinger

I got this book ages ago, when I was about 15 or 16 years old (which makes some sense, considering the age of the protagonist), because I read it in English classes. Or rather, I should have read it in English classes..

I still remember when I started reading the first half of the first sentence: „If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, …“ – and that was exactly how far I got at my first attempt of reading The Catcher in the Rye. I immediately disliked the writing style and the stuck-up way in which the reader is talked down to and I put it away. I think shortly before our English test, I tried again, managing to read the first and a half pages, then again putting it down, because I couldn’t stand this arrogant writing.

Now, more than 10 years later, I finally made it through, but only in order to encourage my boyfriend to read more. He doesn’t like to read a lot and we thought it might be a good idea if we read the same book, so we can talk about it. And since The Catcher in the Rye is one of his favourite books, I agreed to read it too.

Damn, this book was annoying me! What a terrible brat!

There was this one part I really liked. When Phoebe asked Holden to name ONE thing he actually liked and – surprise, surprise – he couldn’t name one. And all this cursing! Come on.. I normally read a lot of Thompson and Burroughs, so I don’t mind swearing at all, but in all those cases, it adds something to the quality of their writing style. But in this case it just felt like reading something a sassy and arrogant 16-year old had written when he was trying to impress his friends.

And what happens to the ducks??