1761 Companions
28 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Stranger in a Strange Land
Robert A. Heinlein
Progress: 228/438 pages
The Blazing World and Other Writings
Margaret Cavendish, Kate Lilley
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

Logan runs and Jessica stumbles along

Logan's Run  - William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson

I am still very much into dystopian fiction and Logan’s Run seemed like a classic must-read to me.

The story in a nutshell would be a future earth society in which everybody has to go or is being put to „sleep“ at the age of 21. If you want to live longer, you can try to run. But you will most likely be hunted down by the so called Sandmen or be killed by some renegades, outlaws, cyborgs or robots. Logan and Jessica run, survive various adventures, fall in love aaaand happy (yet kind of open) ending.

The novel has a classic late 60s setup – a strong, smart, goal-oriented, enduring white male protagonist and a pretty, quiet, cooperative, helpless female companion who stumbles and falls down a lot or who gets stripped naked and tied to a rock, waiting for rescue. And these rescue manoeuvres sometimes get quite ridiculous. I mean, at one point, Logan is forced to have sex with six lovely ladies in order to get an antidote and to save Jessica. Need I say more?

Logan’s Run is an okay entertainment, definitely no world-class literature and filled with 60s sexism, racism and all sorts of prejudices, also, the writing sometimes jumps between first and third person narration. But, let’s face it – it had me with words like „rebel hipsters“ or „pleasure gypsy“ on page one.

…just a side note: this is one of the rare occasions in which I think that the movie really is way better, because the story (in the movie) makes more sense and is less focused on showing what a tough guy Logan is.