1756 Companions
28 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Player Piano
Kurt Vonnegut
Progress: 25/320 pages
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

Looking back on 2017

The letters of Herman Melville - Herman Melville, Merrell R. Davis, William H. Gilman A True Novel - Juliet Winters Carpenter, Minae Mizumura Wir - Евгений Замятин Der Glöckner von Notre-Dame - Else von Schorn, Victor Hugo What the Hell Did I Just Read - David Wong Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell Сердешна Оксана - Григорій Квітка-Основ'яненко The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo - Oscar Zeta Acosta, Manuel Acosta Sero, Hunter S. Thompson The Revolt of the Cockroach People - Oscar Zeta Acosta, Marco Acosta, Hunter S. Thompson Ein so langer Brief - Mariama Bâ, Irmgard Rathke, Rolf Italiaander

Hey there! I hope everyone had a fantastic start into 2018!

I always like to take the first days of January to look back and recap what I read in the past year – which books did I love, which ones did I like ok and which ones did upset or disappoint me. So here we go – quick and dirty!

Books I loved

There were a lot of books which I really liked in 2017, so I wrecked my brain to distil the three absolute best of the best for you:
My favourite book must have been The Letters of Herman Melville – interesting, well written and as an highlight I recommend reading the letters he addressed to Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Another one of my favourites was A True Novel by Minae Mizumura which I binge read in 11 days despite the sheer amount of nearly 900 pages. And last, but definitely not least was the mother of all dystopian novels We by Evgenij Zamjatin.

Books I was disappointed in

Luckily, in this category there were not that many books to choose from. The biggest letdown and as I can remember also the most exhausting one to read must have been The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, which is sad, because I expected so much more from this classic. What the Hell did I just read was no favourite of mine neither, although this did not come as a surprise, because David Wong’s books are gradually declining in quality. And since I mentioned We as one of the best books, I have to admit that 1984 wasn’t really a good one, despite its status as the dystopian novel par excellence.

And some honourable mentions

Сердешна Оксана as the first (and so far only) book I read in Ukrainian, So long a letter as a fascinating account of the life of African women and both books written by Oscar Zeta Acosta (The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo and The Revolt of the Cockrach People), because Acosta proves that even lawyers can be amazing writers and fight for what is right.