1754 Companions
25 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

A Clockwork Orange
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

Dystopian Halloween

Wir - Евгений Замятин

While I see so many of you engaging in more eerie, uncanny and potentially frightful Halloween-themed reading now in October (right now Agatha Christie and gothic ghost/vampire stories are all over the place in my timeline), I have nonetheless settled for dystopian fiction, which is scary enough.

After finishing Brave New World, I took a look at what Russian literature has to say on that topic and came across Evgenij Zamjatin’s novel We (which was an enormous inspiration for George Orwell, btw, so you can imagine, 1984 will be next).

We (which, mind you, was first published in 1924) is not only a very well written novel in itself, but gets even more interesting when compared to the point of view of authors like Huxley. Both, We and Brave New World, work with a similar basic concept, but focus on completely different aspects. While Huxley is all about breading and conditioning, thus the biological control of life, Zamjatin is interested in exploring the mental and technological possibilities and consequences in his dystopian future world.

Overall, Zamjatin’s novel We is way more complex and in no way less realistic than Brave New World. And if that doesn’t scare you for Halloween, no ghost ever will.