1756 Companions
28 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Player Piano
Kurt Vonnegut
Progress: 25/320 pages
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

"Believe. Even if you are the only one."

Poupelle of Chimney Town / えんとつ町のプペル - Akihiro Nishino, Satoru Murata

Poupelle of Chimney Town is a really sweet children’s book / comic from Japan with amazing graphics (I say graphics and not drawings, because they were 3D modeled rather than drawn – incredible lightsetting, though).

It is a story about friendship, love, trust, loss, prejudices and self-sacrifice – all packed in a pretty bilingual edition and printed on fancy paper. The only reason I have for not giving Poupelle all 5 stars is the language.

As mentioned, this is a bilingual edition (Japanese/English) and since I unfortunately do not speak, let alone read Japanese, I can only judge the English translation. And this translation is mediocre and doggerel, not to say simply bad. I had the impression that the goal of the story in terms of narrating was minimalism, reducing the language as much as possible. So, in general, you do not have many sentences per page to work with, but having to read so many repetitions of words and having to deal with weird comma placement really took a lot of fun out of reading it.

But in the end the graphics and escpecially the story itself really make up for the failed translation and make Poupelle an enjoyable and touching experience after all.