1753 Companions
26 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

Flappers and Philosophers
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Progress: 119/216 pages
Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page
Matt Kish
Progress: 100/600 pages
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

Objective journalism - look it in the eye and grab it straight by its fucking throat

Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Writing of Hunter S. Thompson - Hunter S. Thompson, Jann Wenner

HS Thompson. What can I say? I think he is one of the most fascinating writers and the best fucking journalist who ever lived.

Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone contains what the cover calls "The Essential Writing of Hunter S. Thompson“ - well, I mean, that is debatable, for sure, but there are amazing pieces in here. As I have read nearly all of his novels, it was super refreshing to read some of his journalistic writings as well.

Although I personally can only bring myself to follow politics on a pretty superficial, absolute need-to-know basis, what fascinated and scared me the most in here, was his writing on the presidential election campaigns. If you just swap the names of Nixon and McGovern, this could be a report on last years election or every other one before that. Shit, this could probably even be a report for an election in 20 or 30 years! Two generations later and nothing has changed. Nothing. Not even a bit. That’s probably one reason why I stopped bothering to remember names of politicians a long time ago – because it simply doesn’t matter. They are absolutely interchangeable. And Thompson is the only journalist I know of, who has the balls to actually openly admit it.

A very touching and partly even tender piece was the obituary for Oscar Zeta Acosta, a good friend of HST and the real life model for his 300 pound Samoan attorney, who disappeared in 1974. There is no question about this – the picture Thompson draws of this incredible brown buffalo is way bigger and heavier than the man in real life. But it is not Thompsons goal to describe the man in real life, but to describe the real man. The man behind the everyday mask – the one we all wear. His unique talent was not to simply look behind this mask, but the ability to break and shatter it once and for all with his exaggeration, so he could glimpse at the person behind it. And most amazingly, he chose to share these glimpses with all of us who are willing to buy our ticket and take the ride on the HST train.