1754 Companions
25 Accompanied
lono

What I am reading

the weird and highly subjective way I see it

A Clockwork Orange
Fifty Egg Timer Short Stories
Richard Bunning

For the Earth!

Earthforce - Paul Watson

As far as I am concerned, Captain Paul Watson is the most dedicated and the most successful protector of our planet and the wildlife on it and I have enormous respect for this man. So, since he recently published the 2nd edition of his guidebook on strategy (which is already out of stock), I definitely wanted to read it, besides, all profit goes into his efforts to save animals and/or the environment, jeyy!

In Earthforce, he draws from four principal sources - The Art of War by the Chinese General Sun Tzu, the Japanese Book of five Rings by Miyamato Musashi, Marshall McLuhans works on mass media and his own experience in the field. Right after the first page, you can see, that he definitely means business. He tries to fit as much information in those 100 pages as possible. His advice is rather on the practical side, there are a lot of lists and points what to do and what to avoid in order to achieve your goals. The most interesting and astonishing parts for me were Watsons recollections of his own actions throughout the past, his victories as well as his failures.

I was obviously never fully aware of how tiresome the job of protecting our planet can be in real life and how lonesome it probably is, because you constantly have to watch your back and it is basically impossible to trust anyone. But I think that if you are successful, the reward for saving some of those beautiful creatures cannot be measured.

From my quite pacifistic point of view though, Watson uses a way too military tone in his book, meaning that although I certainly share his views and beliefs, I absolutely dissociate myself with his term of an “Earth Warrior“ and I am not sure, whether I am onboard with his use of imagery. The only thing, that really bugged me a bit, is the writing style. It is pretty simple and clear, but sometimes kind of harsh and tight. There were a lot of interesting points mentioned and it would have been awesome if there were some further explanations about the how and why or even some further reading suggestions. But then, hey.. this guy is out at sea fighting big companies and corporations and risking his own ass to save whales, sharks, seals, turtles, fish, dolphins etc every day, so I salute him and can undoubtedly recommend this book nevertheless.